|University||University of Sharjah (UOS)|
1. Attempt this entire question. Each part is worth 8 marks.
(a) Figure A1a shows a borehole log and undrained shear strength profile. It is proposed to excavate to 1m below ground level and construct a 2m square, 0.5m deep concrete foundation carrying a total load of 200kN and a variable load of 100kN (Figure A1b). The excavation is not backfilled. The groundwater level is 1.5m below ground level. Using Design Approach 1 Combination 1, determine whether the foundation is acceptable.
Figure A1a The soil and soil property profiles
Figure A1b Cross-section of foundation
Stuck! We Have Native Srilankan Tutors Online 24*7 Who can Answer your Assignment & Homework Questions Instant.
(b) 0.3 diameter CFA piles will be used to support the slurry tank shown in Figure A1b. The tank will be a piled raft supported by 20 piles at 1m centers. The ground level around the building will be raised by 2m using engineered fill after the tank is built. Assume that the walls and floor of the tank are 0.2m thick and the density of the slurry is 1100kg/m3. Produce a diagram showing the forces acting on the pile group and calculate.
Figure A1b Cross-section showing the soil profile and location of tank supported by piles
(c) A 15m high, 8m diameter steel grain silo sits on a square reinforced concrete foundation, which rests on stiff clay. The foundation is 1.5m deep with the formation level at 1m below ground level. The mass of the silo including the weight of the foundation is 45 tonnes. The silo stores grain with a density of 790kg/m3. The
maximum wind load produces a horizontal force of 30kN acting at 10m above ground level. Determine the maximum and minimum contact stress between the base of the foundation and the soil when the silo is full.
feeling stressed! Dont Know the answer of your assessment questions? Ask Native Srilankan Experts & Get 100% Plagiarism free papers
(d) A 15m long, 400mm diameter steel circular pile was driven through 1m of firm clay, 5m of normally consolidated soft clay into dense sand. The pile was installed in winter when the groundwater level was at 1m below ground level. The following summer there is a drought. This results in the groundwater level falling to 2m below groundwater level.
Determine what the effect would be on the load acting on the pile. Assume that the unit weight of the firm clay is 18kN/m3 and the ratio of its undrained strength to the vertical effective stress is 0.5. The unit weight of the soft clay is 16kN/m3 and the ratio of its undrained strength to the vertical effective stress is 0.3. The SPTN60 of the dense sand is 15.
(e) 4.5m diameter, 3m high steel water tank sits on a 5m diameter, 0.5m thick concrete foundation with a formation level at 1m below ground level as shown in Figure A1e.
The soil profile shown in Figure A1e is taken from the ground investigation. Calculate the time it takes for the foundation to settle.
At the time of construction, the firm to stiff clay was found to extend to 10m below ground level. Would this change the time for the settlement to occur and, if so, how long would it take?
Need help with Srilankan academic essays & assignments online?
No tension, If you have a lack of knowledge of the subject. Our professional report writers are here for your support. Our assignment writers have full knowledge of Foundation Engineering assignment so they create a perfect assignment on it. Avail do my assignment services and score A+ grades.
Looking for Plagiarism free Answers for your Sri Lanakan college/ university Assignments.
- Evaluate current creative and innovative management processes in an organization: Creative and Innovative Management Assignment, CUC, Sri Lanka
- Suppose you have recently been recruited as a Business Analyst to a company of your choice which expects to diversify: Honours in Business and Environment Report, UOC, Sri Lanka
- MN6003: Identify the main issues confronting an organization when developing and implementing strategic: Strategy Case Study LUM, Sri Lanka
- Analyse the performance of global supply chains using appropriate analytical techniques: Global Logistic & supplier Chain Management Assignment, TUD, Sri Lanka
- The parent process should read an array of double frequency from the user and creates a pipe to do the inter-process communication: Information Technology Courses in Sri Lanka Assignment, UOC, Sri Lanka
- You have been asked to run a one-week language-training course for a small family-run firm based in Toulouse, France: Management of Teaching Course Work, SGU, Sri Lanka
- Before selecting the organization, the students should decide the key result areas of HR to be included, data collection methods: Human resource management Report, CIPM, Sri Lanka
- DBA7906: We live in an increasingly hyper-competitive global marketplace, where firms are fighting to stay lean and flexible: Emerging Issues In Organizational Behaviour Case Study, LUC, Sri Lanka
- Business to business market totally differs from the Consumer market. B2B market represents individuals: Marketing Assignment, UOC, Sri Lanka
- The lack of alignment between Business strategies and HR strategies is a modern-day corporate dilemma: Managing people Assignment, HU, Sri Lanka